SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Cold-Feed Conversion L1 Series 1 Pt 1

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #15810 by Gregory Green
Replied by Gregory Green on topic Cold-Feed Conversion L1 Series 1 Pt 1
Hi David
My machine has worked perfectly since this modification and I have no desire to make any further changes. I would do the same thing again.

The machine pressure is regulated via an identical looking valve in the cold feed line to the machine.

Your machine plumbing description appears to be correct. All modifications are easily seen from my first photo.

An over pressure valve is absolutely essential, but the amount of dribble is only a few drops.

I think everything else is covered in the previous discussion.

Its in another thread, but any plumbed machine really should have some form of water leak detection.
londiniumespresso.com/forum/londinium-ow...-water-leak-detector
It works as I've tested it several times

Greg
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Gregory Green. Reason: Water Leak Detector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #15811 by David Ross
Replied by David Ross on topic Cold-Feed Conversion L1 Series 1 Pt 1
Thanks!
Just st wanted to ensure I understood what I was reading. I’m quite handy with these sorts of things and might give it a try. Will report back here when I do.

The leak detection is something I don’t have but often worry about and will be sure to add with this conversion.

David

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #16642 by David Ross
Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing a similar conversion on my old L1 - Mostly collecting needed parts for now. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd simply add on / contribute to this one.

As a start point, I put a gauge on the group head via the 18x1.5mm plug on top of the group and didn't get the values I expected.
The boiler pressure is set to 1.5 bar but the group gauge only shows 1 bar.
Also, when making a coffee the group gauge remains at 1 bar.
From diagrams, I thought there was a check ball in the group and that gauge would read high(7 bar-ish?) during extraction but it remained flat at 1 bar. I even tested the gauge to make sure it was working properly.

Am I misunderstanding the pressure at the 18x1.5mm fitting?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #16643 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic Cold-Feed Conversion L1 Series 1 Pt 1
hi david

1. check that your gauge reads zero when the machine is cold. if the anti vac valve on your machine has stuck at some point since 2016 a vacuum is created as the machine cools and this has enough force to cause the needle on the pressure gauge to turn on the centre pin as the vacuum tries to pull the needle below the stop. this then results in a gauge that reads greater than zero when the machine is off and cold, and overstates the actual pressure when the boiler is pressurised by the value of the overstatement when the system is cold. this will be true even if the anti-vac valve was subsequently cleaned or changed

2. you only put a check valve in the dipper configurations of this group. if you put a check valve in with a thermosiphon configuration it is likely to result in the thermosiphon running cold as the machine ages/scale forms in the non return valve

3. to get an accurate pressure reading you will have to bleed out every last cc of air between the water and your pressure gauge or the air compresses under load and acts as a shock absorber and soaks up the increase in water pressure, so you won't see it on the gauge unless you get all the air out

kind regards

reiss.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #16644 by David Ross
Hi Reiss,

I checked the gauge and sure enough, It reads 0.1 bar high when the machine is cold.
I can hear the anti-vac pop up when the machine is warming up but I'll probably pull it out and clean it to be sure.

I also re-checked the group head gauge I was using and it's not accurate below 4 bar. Cheap gauge :(
Grabbed another gauge, bled all the water out of the fittings and everything is agreeing.

Thanks.

The lack of a check valve explains the pressure spike when releasing the lever mentioned earlier as the pressure will feed back into the boiler until the piston seal passes over the cylinder water holes. A quick release of the lever can bump the needle.

Question, without a check valve and the back feed of some water from the piston to the boiler (or at least into the copper tubes) : Is there any possibility of coffee getting back to the boiler?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #16645 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic Cold-Feed Conversion L1 Series 1 Pt 1
hi david

no one has managed to do it yet, so i think we're safe

kind regards

reiss.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds