SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

L1(2012-2016) leaking issues

More
1 week 3 days ago #16953 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
hi fran

the anti-vac valve exists to prevent a vacuum forming in the system when the machine is turned off, which is likely to result in 'false pressure' when the machine is turned on next time (i.e. it tricks the pressure switch into switching the immersion element off at an artificially low pressure, and so the system runs cooler than it should)

to perform this task our anti-vac valve is open when it is in the down/resting position, which occurs when the system has less than about 0.3 bar in it. when the boiler has more than about 0.3 bar in it there is sufficient pressure to lift the weight of the centre pin in the anti vac valve upwards, causing the o-ring on the centre pin to seal

if the anti-vac valve is popping into the up (sealed) position, but failing to seal it either has a bit of grit or muck between the valve seat and the o-ring (most likely), or the o-ring has gone hard with heat, or it is nicked/split/cracked/otherwise damaged

if you take a 17mm wrench and a hammer to strike the wrench to shock the anti-vac valve free from the boiler you will be able to remove the valve off the boiler

only once you have removed the anti-vac valve off the boiler should you remove the stainless steel circlip that holds the valve together; the centre pin will then fall apart from the valve body and you will be able to take the o-ring off the centre pin to inspect its integrity

let us know what you find

kind regards

reiss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #16955 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
Ignore, just testing response times on long threads.

Espresso is better than wine... if only because it's socially acceptable to quaff it first thing in the morning!

More
1 week 1 day ago #16962 by Fran Donnelly
Replied by Fran Donnelly on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
Thanks for explanation, Reiss. It's certainly useful to know a bit more about how things work, particularly if you're someone with zero idea on these things like me.

I've been waiting on getting the correct spanner for the job; however, before going any further, I thought I'd make sure I'd got the source of the leak correct (which, in turn, involved waiting for a cardboard roll to become available). Anyway, I was wrong. The steam is coming from the safety valve.

Now I've looked at some of the older posts about resolving this, which suggest I'm best having a go at trying to get the valve to close before I think about removing it. Bearing in mind that, like I say, I've no experience doing this kind of thing, how do you recommend I go about this please?

L1 & E8

More
1 week 1 day ago #16963 by Reiss Gunson
hi från

if its the safety valve im assuming its the first generation of safety valve, in which case there is no point in mucking around with it

remove the old safety valve and fit the new design of safety valve that we now offer; it is infinitely better

contact me when the new valve arrives and i can help you via video call to change the safety valve

be sure to use a hammer to strike the wrench to shock the valve free from the boiler

kind regards

reiss.

More
2 days 3 hours ago #16983 by Fran Donnelly
Replied by Fran Donnelly on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
The new safety valve has arrived now, so this weekend I'll look at removing the water box and then maybe we can arrange a Skype call to make sure I don't go about removing the old valve the wrong way.

Could you let me know what size spanner the safety valve takes please?

L1 & E8

More
2 days 3 hours ago #16984 by Reiss Gunson
oh im not sure off the top of my head - i think it is larger than a 17 as the anti-vac is 17 - might be a 19, but if i had to guess i would pick 22

Attachments:

More
2 days 2 hours ago #16985 by Reiss Gunson
ps - please dont take the water box out; it is not necessary

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds