SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

L1(2012-2016) leaking issues

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16927 by Fran Donnelly
L1(2012-2016) leaking issues was created by Fran Donnelly
Hi everyone,

Checking in because I'm having an issue with my L1, and after giving it a quick once over I'm not sure what to try. Apologies in advance if I'm vague, I'll try to upload a video if possible to help.

The L1 had been on most of the day when I came to it found the pump making an unusual noise (more sputtering than anything I've heard it do before), and water leaking from under the unit. I shut the machine off, checked that there was water in the tank, which there was.

After cleaning up and a cool down, I switched the machine on and as it started to build pressure, water began to spill from the anti-vac valve. I assumed that my boiler had overfilled, which seemed likely given we've very soft water here and it has done this once before, maybe 18 months ago.

I opened the hot water tap and emptied the boiler (at length) until the pump came on, which it did for a little while before switching off and the low water alarm came on (plenty of water in the tank). However, I now had a new leak of water around the bottom of the pump and leaking under the unit - too much to have been from the small anti-vac leak that started before I opened the hot water tap.

I'm at a bit of a loss now, so thanks in advance for for your help!

Cheers,
Fran

L1 & E8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16928 by Frans Goddijn
Replied by Frans Goddijn on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
It's best to open the side panels and watch carefully where the water is coming from. Should be easy to spot since there's not just a few droplets. Take snapshots / video of those details, and it should be clear to see what needs to be done.

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16929 by Fran Donnelly
Replied by Fran Donnelly on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
Thanks for the reply Frans.

I'd already got the sidepanels off and took a video, but struggling to upload it right now (wrong file format etc.)

I've taken the attached pictures just now. I put some water in the tank, placed the tank back in the container and the water started leak immediately (i.e., before I'd turned the machine on). There's probably not much you can tell from the pictures though that said.

However, I can't see where exactly the water is leaking from, although it's running as though it's coming from under the tank? I certainly can't see it dripping from anywhere now.

L1 & E8
Attachments:

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16930 by Frans Goddijn
I can't see anything leaking in detail there. Best to get a pocket flashlight, get up close and show what is leaking exactly.

Video: upload to a Youtube account, share the link in the message also works.

Could it be the water reservoir being not seated well?

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16931 by Fran Donnelly
Good idea. Couple of videos here; you can see that the base of the unit is dry and then when I seat the tank it begins to leak through.

(taken just now with flash on, it's a bit clearer)
(video taken earlier when water alarm came on)

It sounds as though you're right, but I don't understand why this has started happening now to be honest. The tank feels like it has fit properly, as securely as I can get it, and no differently to how I've fit the tank previously... I'm also not sure why this would start being a problem spontaneously; it's not as though I started having the problem immediately after putting the tank in, unless I'm complicating a different problem with a new one now.

L1 & E8

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16932 by Frans Goddijn
You write "when I seat the tank it begins to leak" -- do you pull out the tank? Why and how frequently? If it sits well, best to leave it.

The rubber seal/ring in the 'nipple' could be worn out over time.

The videos are not very clear, in the first one I hear something's happening (pushing on the tank? Invisible on screen) and it's best to see exactly where the water appears. Anyway from your description it sounds like the tank 'nipple' if that the right word. The part that slips into the corresponding part in the chassis.

So best check that in detail, clean, NOT lubricate (!) and fit again.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16933 by Fran Donnelly
Generally speaking, I rarely take the tank out except maybe once a year (if that) for cleaning. The last time I did that was maybe a few months ago. However, I'd taken the tank out in this scenario because leaving it in would have meant all the water leaking everywhere.

Apologies for the lack of clarity in the videos, it's the best I can do really - to be honest, even in person it's not very clear where the water is coming from. In the top video, I start filming with the tank out and then put it in place (so to show the water leak as it begins), which is probably what you can hear me trying to do. In any case, the tank appears to be firmly in place.

L1 & E8

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16935 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic L1(2012-2016) leaking issues
hello

i think you have multiple issues

1. the boiler over filled, probably exactly for the reason you described. you took the correct action to remedy it. the alarm would have sounded for the same reason

2. having addressed the boiler over fill, and today is a new day, presumably with the machine dry again inside the casing from the heat of the boiler, look again to see if the pump is leaking. if it is it needs to be replaced - expected life of this pump is around 3 years. there is a very detailed post on how to replace the pump in the permanent file

if you discover that the leak is from some other location, please let us know

kind regards

reiss.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #16936 by Fran Donnelly
Thanks for picking this up Reiss.

Tried filling the tank again, and this time, after craning my neck a bit, I was able to see water actually dripping from the pump, so hopefully that's the mystery resolved. I've had four years out of it, so no real surprises if they generally last around three like you say.

Found the guide in the permanent file, so I'll get on to replacing that.

Thanks again both of you for your help.

L1 & E8

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #16952 by Fran Donnelly
So a follow-up on this one, I'm worried I've created myself a new problem.

New pump arrived today and I managed to fit that without any problem, so far as I know.

However, now when I turn on the machine, it comes up to pressure and the anti-vac valve doesn't close, meaning it continues to leak steam until the machine is turned off and drops back down to no pressure. The valve does close at that point, so it doesn't seem to stuck. I can depress the valve at pressure, but it pops back up when not pressed.

Certainly wasn't doing this before - is there something I might have done wrong in replacing the pump? Or is there maybe something else I should try?

L1 & E8

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds