SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Pump intermittently turns on (at pressure and no activity)

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #16416 by Mark Ross
Hi Reiss,

I was having trouble getting this done and after three tries, I think it is finally the way we want. I don't need anything from you but want to document what I saw for myself and anyone else with this situation:
1. The adjustment screw on the pump was definitely too far out. I tried hand tightening it but that wasn't working. Using a 10mm wrench allows much more understanding about how many turns I had made. I didn't overly tighten when moving it in - I just put the wrench on the bolt and gently pivoted - and was able to take advantage of the wrench giving me an indication of how many turns. Each time, I was moving 1/4 turn. Because the bolt is "blind" (being under the machine), I found using the wrench helped a lot.
2. It took me three tries to get the expansion valve adjustment correct. I thought I was experiencing "opposite day" since I tried what you said and the first couple of times it wasn't working. Your directions are correct, and maybe the loosening and then tightening freed something up. Perhaps the item above (pump pressure adjusted too low) was complicating things. I did find that after removing the top to the expansion adjustment, it was "weeping" water and having a rag handy to dab it so it didn't overflow was helpful.

Anyway, I'm all good for now. I appreciate your clear directions.

Thanks for all your help,

Mark
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Mark Ross. Reason: Added info about water seeping out of expansion adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #16417 by Reiss Gunson
hi mark

good stuff. yes the expansion valve weeping indicates that it is working (relieving hydraulic pressure as the cold water introduced to the system is heated by the system)

happy new year

reiss.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #16418 by Mark Ross
Hi Reiss,

Thanks and happy new year to you!

Best wishes for 2020,

Mark

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #16648 by Roger Chi
I had this issue after installing the wireless espresso module as well. Adjusting the expansion valve fixed it. Recently, the intermittent pumping came back, even when set to a low-ish bar (3.0). No amount of adjustment of the expansion valve seemed to help, and it turned out that one of the piston seals had failed and pressure was leaking out through the group. Replacing the seal (and adjusting the expansion valve back) resolved the issue.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #16649 by Reiss Gunson
hi roger

thank you for your post

yes, that is correct; the digital pressure transducer will detect any leak in that section of the system from the non-return valve in the bottom of the manifold all the out to the piston seals, and call the pump to restore pressure

kind regards

reiss

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #16840 by Rob West
I am also experiencing the pump running intermittently. For me when it is doing it, it is triggered by the heating element coming on. The pump chugs for a couple of seconds. Doesn't happen that often, but when it does it will do it each time the element turns on.

I am running PI between 2.5 and 3.5 most of the time. My expansion valve kicks in at 12.3 bar - easy to tell this now with the app, although it confused me at first until I realised that the display goes around again once it hits 10, so 12.3 displays as 2.3.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #16843 by Reiss Gunson
hi rob
any chance of a video clip that captures the behaviour you are experiencing?
kind regards
reiss.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #16846 by Rob West
No problem, next time it does it I will record a video

More
2 months 1 week ago #16861 by Rob West
I managed to get a recording of the LR doing it: soundcloud.com/robert-west-935339123/lr-pump-noise .

The pump starts just after the pstat kicks in.

More
2 months 1 week ago #16877 by Reiss Gunson
you're a hard man to please rob. can you also please provide a video clip of the numbers on the pressure transducer console, as this provides a very good understanding of what is happening inside the machine.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds