SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

LONDINIUM wireless espresso

• Frans Goddijn
  • Frans Goddijn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 months 2 weeks ago #16205 by Frans Goddijn
Replied by Frans Goddijn on topic LONDINIUM wireless espresso

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #16207 by Lee Ramseur
Replied by Lee Ramseur on topic LONDINIUM wireless espresso
Hi Frans,

What was your dose? What factored into your decision to pull the cup when you did?

Out of curiosity, have you discovered a consistent relationship between ideal preinfusion pressure and Tonino number?

• Frans Goddijn
  • Frans Goddijn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
9 months 2 weeks ago #16208 by Frans Goddijn
Replied by Frans Goddijn on topic LONDINIUM wireless espresso
Hi Lee,

Dose was about 18g.

I pulled the cup at 30g which I usually do (mostly on sight but this time I wanted to use the scale/timer)

For the Tonino number, when one wants to be able to exactly compare with fellow roasters, one needs to be calibrated to each other's grind setting when preparing the test grinds. Having said that, of course T#110 always points at a fairly light roast, T#120-130 to filter roast, T#60-70 to very dark roasts that i would never drink etc.

I mostly roast to my Tonino #95, plus or minus 4 and then extract starting with 3-3.5 bar preinfusion.

On the light roast Ethiopians, I found 4.5 bar on a more coarse grind also worked very well but my girl friend prefers the 5-6 bar preinfusion and the grind as used in the video. At lower PI pressure, the very special and in my view fascinating taste of these honey processed Ethiopians are highlighted but i understand why for some, a little of that 'wildness' is already sufficient in the cup to start the day ;-)

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #16209 by Lee Ramseur
Frans,

Thanks for your response. I was curious because I have also been pulling a lightly roasted Ethiopian at the same dose and found it tasted better at 5 bar preinfusion. The roaster recommended 18g dose / 30 g yield, but I found I preferred a 36g yield.

The Tonino seems like an objective way to determine roast level, and thereby expedite and/or simplify dialing in a roast. Didn't realize that little bugger runs $600 USD, though!

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #16210 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic LONDINIUM wireless espresso
the primary driver for this approach is the correct pre-infusion pressure for any given roast in our machines varies as the coffee ages: it is not a constant that you can set and forget

for this reason we have made the investment to make it quick and easy to change the pre-infusion pressure instantly if the next shot you pull is not exactly to your liking

the architecture of our machines is such that you do not have to wait for the group temperature to respond to a change in the heat in the system before the change takes effect

you want to reduce the pre-infusion pressure as the coffee ages, which also reduces the brew temperature and the shot volume

typically you will be reducing the pressure in increments of 0.2 bar to compensate for the ageing of the coffee.
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Reiss Gunson.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #16211 by Reiss Gunson
as a rule of thumb i like to pull the cup when the lever arm reaches vertical; this willl almost entirely avoid the blond tail going into your cup if you have the correct pre-infusion set for the roast/dose/grind combination

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #16212 by Reiss Gunson
with an organic product like coffee you are chasing a moving target

the londinium architecture now allows you to almost instantly shift the settings of the machine to track the ageing of your roast in a way that is intuitive and utilises a single parameter only (pre-infusion pressure) to control the other parameters (brew temperature, brew volume) whilst maintaining the equilibrium of the system (i.e. maintain thermal stability)
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Reiss Gunson.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #16213 by Reiss Gunson
the other advantage of an almost instant response from the system to any change you make to the pre-infusion pressure is that if you dont get it quite right on the first attempt it doesnt matter, you just tweak it a bit more, or less and the system responds almost instantly again

sitting there for half an hour waiting for the group to change temperature gets old fast. that does not happen with the londinium architecture.

More
9 months 1 week ago #16214 by Lee Ramseur
Reiss,

Thanks for your insight. It did not occur to me to reduce the preinfusion pressure as the coffee ages (I would've guessed to increase as it ages). Thanks for the pull-when-vertical rule of thumb. I'll keep an eye on my pulls and see if I'm close to that mark.

More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #16215 by Reiss Gunson
hi lee

yes, that has been one of the lessons i have learnt since we developed the digital pre-infusion

that made it even more important to develop the wireless module as pulling off the side panel regularly is a pain

some customers have requested the ability to pre-infuse to pressure 'X' then for the pump not to come on again and an ultra long pre-infusion duration of up to 5 minutes

i am pleased to tell you that the wireless module supports this style

all you need to do is select the longest pump interval (2s) then select the pre infusion pressure you desire, then as soon as the pump turns off after you pull the lever down (indicating that the target pi has been achieved) you slide the target pi to zero, which ensures that the pump does not turn back on

kind regards

reiss.
Last edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Reiss Gunson.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds