SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Digital pre-infusion module for L-R

More
1 year 6 months ago #15317 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
hit it harder with the hammer

if you have got an assistant to hold the manifold for you so not too much strain goes onto the water tank carrier bracket that would be helpful

dont be afraid to strike it hard

perversely just pulling harder and harder on the end of a wrench with your hand is what turns soft copper pipes inside out; the shock of the hammer is your friend in this particular situation, this is what will free the thread

kind regards

reiss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15318 by Terry Gregory
Replied by Terry Gregory on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
My pre-infusion module arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. I can attest that the hammer method does work. I struggled just a bit at first, too. I'm really glad I watched the video. Speaking of the video, my kit did not contain the 'olive' part mentioned in the video as it shipped with a larger diameter copper tubing for this part, so the 'olive' part was not required. I did spend a couple of minutes looking for the 'olive' until I realized the difference in size of the tubing. All went well with the install. I took my time and it was very satisfying once completed. One minor issue I noted on my control module was with the display. Once the settings are saved, I cannot really read the top line, clearly, which, from the video, I believe to be the 'bar' reading. The text is displaying a bit too high in the window. I can see the second line, the set value, clearly. I don't know if there are any adjustments for that? If not, no big deal as I can clearly see the text during the critical times when configuring / saving the settings.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #15319 by Reiss Gunson
hi terry

i think you can lift the adhesive sticker and reposition it

alternatively you could open the casing and reposition the display by a millimetre or similar

we are now using a different fitting on the pipe you mention, so no olive

kind regards

reiss.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Reiss Gunson.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #15320 by Terry Gregory
Reiss, thank you for the tips regarding the display window. I'll have to take a close look next chance I get.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Terry Gregory.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15321 by Benjamin Scott
Replied by Benjamin Scott on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R

Reiss Gunson wrote: hit it harder with the hammer

Thanks, this worked perfectly! When it doubt, bang it harder.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15324 by Tony Cordery
Replied by Tony Cordery on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
Firstly, my thanks to Frans for suggesting the removal of the front/right bayonet fixing pin such that the right-hand side panel can be easily removed, in order to access the PI module. It was that idea that prompted me to go digital in advance of the App and, it works a treat.
Although at first, I ordered the upgrade kit, Londiniumitis got the better of me and I ended up ordering a brand new machine. :)
As expected, the L-R has produced some great coffee from the get-go.

I do however have a question which I would imagine is, best directed at Reiss.
There are several references here on the site to keeping the Offset value set at -1.0 and it is a point stressed in the retro-fit installation video. My machine has arrived with an Offset of -1.4 Is there any reason why this would not have arrived factory-set at -1.0 and, should I now reduce it ?

Tony

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #15325 by Terry Gregory

Tony Cordery wrote: I do however have a question which I would imagine is, best directed at Reiss.
There are several references here on the site to keeping the Offset value set at -1.0 and it is a point stressed in the retro-fit installation video. My machine has arrived with an Offset of -1.4 Is there any reason why this would not have arrived factory-set at -1.0 and, should I now reduce it ?
Tony

For what it's worth, mine shipped with the same default setting of -1.4. I had the same question in my mind but deferred to the video instructions and made the adjustment to -1.0. I will be watching to see what Reiss has to say.

P.S.
I am really enjoying the pre-infusion module. Before, I never bothered trying to adjust this setting as I was fearful of messing something up and not being able to back out of it. I tried Frans' preferred setting of 3.0 and, anecdotally speaking, could tell the difference in water temperature and taste---water temperature seemed cooler in the shot, and it tasted more fruity. For my taste and this specific coffee, Kenya AA, Otter Specialty Coffee Roasters, with a Full City+ (medium-dark) roasting profile, I did revert back to 3.5. Fun stuff.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Terry Gregory.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15326 by Reiss Gunson
hi tony

its a good question and i expect you are going to be slightly disappointed with the short answer which is: i am not yet certain

the long answer is hopefully slightly better received:

i am still running a pre-production version of the pressure transducer kit in which i have the pressure transducer threaded into the fitting that the Mater was previously occupying

in my setup i observed elevated levels of static pressure cycling as the heating element cycled. it was pushing up close to christmas and i was determined to launch it prior to 31/12 so i worked with an engineer at the manufacturer via WhatsApp at some fairly anti social hours and he knew that the range of the static pressure cycling would be reduced if we moved the pressure transducer further away from the boiler. it obviously only took a moment to look at all the unused ports on the inlet manifold and think, right, lets try it there

we moved the pressure transducer to the inlet manifold and that drastically reduced the range of the pressure cycling that was measured by the pressure transducer, which allows the expansion valve to be set to a lower setting

the purpose of the offset parameter is you get a pressure drop from the location of the pressure transducer out to the puck. when the pressure transducer was in the location where the Mater used to sit i measured this pressure drop as 1.0 bar, and this is how the offset value of -1.0 bar came to be used in the installation video

as a result of moving the pressure transducer further away from the puck the pressure differential should be greater. the engineer at the manufacturer has obviously set yours to -1.4 bar, which should be correct

having said that i am not yet in a position to measure that new difference myself, but as soon as i bring the new kit down here i will do so. perhaps one of you has a portafilter with a pressure gauge mounted on it and is able to verify it? when you have the offset correct, when you pull the lever down and have the pressure gauge on the portafilter and bleed the air out of the portafilter you should then get the 'bar' value on the pressure transducer kit to equal the pressure shown on the pressure gauge at the portafilter. as always with these kind of exercises make it a best of three event

for the meantime probably run with the assumption that -1.4 is the correct number and leave it at that. happily with this setup these things are so easily and precisely changed

kind regards

reiss.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15327 by Reiss Gunson
what i'll do is pull the production bits i need to upgrade my father's machine on DHL Express to new zealand this week and then i can use that machine to verify that -1.4 bar is the correct offset value for you by the end of this week.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15328 by Tony Cordery
Replied by Tony Cordery on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
Hi Reiss,
Thanks for the response so far and I look forward to clarification once you have had a bit of a play.
In the meantime, I will keep the Offset at -1.4 and the Pump Delay at 1000ms

I have not yet done much with the digital PI unit other than familiarise myself with the control panel but, here are my very limited observations. In fact, they are so limited they are probably of no value whatsoever :)
The delivery pre-set of 3.0 Bar gave me a great result with a Guatemala Washed SO, so I stuck with that for a while.
Then I changed out to a medium roast blend and with all else being equal, got an improvement in the cup by changing from 3.0bar to 2.5 Bar
I did notice that at 2.5 Bar that the pump blips in, at the 1 sec Pump delay interval, more than it did with 3.0 Bar setting.

Immediately after removing just the rhs panel, the static pressure was cycling, on average, 6.0 : 8.4 Bar
After a short while, I assume due to the lack of a side panel and therefore running cooler, it was cycling 4.5 : 7.0 Bar
A similar differential but within different ranges.

Tony

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds