SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Digital pre-infusion module for L-R

More
1 year 7 months ago #15249 by Frans Goddijn
Digital pre-infusion module for L-R was created by Frans Goddijn
Hi all, after extensively using the new digital pre-infusion module ( londiniumespresso.com/store/espresso-mac...tal-pre-infusion-kit ) I can say I'm very happy with it.

It expands the versatility of the Londinium L-R machine as it allows a flexible and precise adjustment of the pre-infusion pressure up to 6 bar.

Now, dark roasts can be gently extracted at a relatively low pressure, avoiding the 'burnt rubber' taste and on the other extreme of the pressure spectrum, light 'nordic' roasts and even those meant for filter coffee can be extracted as regular espresso.

Especially that "high pressure" functionality makes it feel like I got a completely new machine.

Before I would just give away bags of beans that were on the very light side and a friend who does drip / pourover methods would enjoy these beans a lot.

Now I can just slam the higher pressure on and boom, there's a full bodied rich regular espresso. I purchased three bags of beans from a nearby roaster whoi is well known for his light roasts. One was even exclusively roasted for filter but it got turned into a fine espresso all the same.

Meanwhile I'm back to my usual 3bar setting but it's very nice to be able to swiftly adjust the pre-infusion pressure and, in consequence, the infusion temperature and the start of the pressure profile.

At the high end, the lever, when lifted, grabs just below horizontal, when the spring is very powerful.

kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.com/2018/12/t...ith-digital-pre.html

kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.com/2018/12/t...-digital-pre_13.html

kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.com/2018/12/t...-digital-pre_15.html

So if you feel like treating yourself to a whole new ballgame, I advise picking up this nifty and (at current exchange rate) affordable innovation for your L-R...

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #15252 by Matthew Hoffman
Replied by Matthew Hoffman on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
Frans, I presume you are getting quite high EY from these coffees due to fine grind, high piston pressure and high brew water temperatures. Have you measured them?
Matt

More
1 year 7 months ago #15253 by Frans Goddijn
Replied by Frans Goddijn on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R

Matthew Hoffman wrote: Frans, I presume you are getting quite high EY from these coffees due to fine grind, high piston pressure and high brew water temperatures. Have you measured them?
Matt

I have not measured the TDS and therefdore also not calculated the extraction yield with teh VST app, but I enjoyed the full bodied espresso out of the very light roasts. I did not grind extremely fine. When I did in the beginning, assuming that would be necessary, I choked the group and had to leave it for minutes to drip out. When grinding at the fine end of the etzMAX spectrum (able to grind fast with the relatively small motor) and dosed 1-2g extra, that was enough. No extra long pre-infiusion time needed. The relatively high extraction pressure compressed the puck enough to get a fairly normal flow.

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

More
1 year 7 months ago #15254 by Matthew Hoffman
Replied by Matthew Hoffman on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R

Frans Goddijn wrote:

Matthew Hoffman wrote: Frans, I presume you are getting quite high EY from these coffees due to fine grind, high piston pressure and high brew water temperatures. Have you measured them?
Matt

I have not measured the TDS and therefdore also not calculated the extraction yield with teh VST app, but I enjoyed the full bodied espresso out of the very light roasts. I did not grind extremely fine. When I did in the beginning, assuming that would be necessary, I choked the group and had to leave it for minutes to drip out. When grinding at the fine end of the etzMAX spectrum (able to grind fast with the relatively small motor) and dosed 1-2g extra, that was enough. No extra long pre-infiusion time needed. The relatively high extraction pressure compressed the puck enough to get a fairly normal flow.

Maybe the extraction levels were more normal then. As I inderstand it, from reading Matt Perger, the main point of grinding finer for light coffees is to increase the surface area of the coffee grinds exposed to the brew water. In any event, the proof is in the taste and your results are interesting.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #15258 by Lukasz Dziekan
Replied by Lukasz Dziekan on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
With LR default setting I get usually over 20% with light roast (La cabra, Tim wel) with ratio around 2:1 in VST 18 - dose 17.5g.
The better prep the higher you can go with extraction. I usually don't like below 19%...

For darker roast I usually stop at 30grams...
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Lukasz Dziekan.

More
1 year 7 months ago #15259 by Anthony Materazzi
Replied by Anthony Materazzi on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
Thanks for taking the time to report! Much appreciated. The upgrade is something I intend on doing, but have only had the R for about a month. It's my first lever so still going through a learning curve, and prefer to learn on the stock machine and with minimal variables.

I do enjoy med to med/dark roasts from time to time so I think I would benefit from it.

Thanks!
TonyM

More
1 year 7 months ago #15262 by Jonathan Shneidman
Replied by Jonathan Shneidman on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R
How long are your preinfusion times?

More
1 year 7 months ago #15263 by Frans Goddijn

More
1 year 7 months ago #15264 by Lukasz Dziekan
Replied by Lukasz Dziekan on topic Digital pre-infusion module for L-R

Jonathan Shneidman wrote: How long are your preinfusion times?

Usually, between 7-15s. Though lately it seems to keep around at 15s.
Tried longer too but saw no improvements...

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #15265 by Frans Goddijn
Since it's fun and propductive to tweak the pre-infusion once the digital module is installed, I frequently find myself trying out a new setting.

With the module behind the right side panel, this involves a few steps:
1) switch off machine
2) take off reservoir lid
3) take off top panel
4) take out reservoir
5) take off side panel
6) adjust setting
7) attach side panel
8 ) attach top panel
9) insert reservoir
10) put on reservoir lid

Taking off the reservoir / tank is necessary for me because getting on the top panel with the reservoir in place involves precision wriggling which I like to avoid.

A downside of this is that frequently removing and re-inserting the reservoir can get dust / grease on the water level sensor and this causes the "i have no water" alarm to go off. Also I find that keeping the reservoir where it is prevents a situation where the pump is gasping with air instead of water, since re-inserting the reservoir opens/closes the connection where one wants air to keep out as much as possible.

To make module adjustment easier, the future optional wireless app is an idea but for me that's introducing high tech in a machine that's so beautiful in its simplicity.

An alternative would be a nice bracket at the back / side of the machine to mount the module on, and a slit in the back panel to lead the wires from the module through. This would involve some work to make the bracket look real good and to keep the wires protected.

Then I thought of simply removing the nipple from the top panel that catches the side panel.

I removed it (simple with a small 10mm spanner) and now I can quickly

1) take off the side panel,
2) change settings, observe the result and
3) re-attach the side panel.

No need for a complex mod! And the top panel and tank/reservoir can stay where they are.

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Frans Goddijn.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds