SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure

More
1 year 9 months ago #14993 by Igor Lontos
When flushing (without portafilter) IMS 35 micron shower screen detaches under water force and falls on the tray. I did not notice this happening the first 3-4 weeks of owning this machine. Any way to prevent this? Lube, hammer...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #14994 by Frans Goddijn
Replied by Frans Goddijn on topic IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure
it's possible that the little holes are somehow clogged. If so, the result of the water flush force is that the screen is pushed out.

Have you recently lubed the bore above the screen? Some of the grease could have leaked into the mesh of the screen.

Have you tried cleaning the screen with the powder that agressively removes grease, and/or with acetone?

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #14995 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure
hi igor

you will find people who will take your experience as evidence that the IMS 35 micron screen is a poor choice and that the IMS 200 micron screen is a better choice

this may be true for pump machines that suck coffee upwards through the screen when the pump turns off, but it is not the case for lever machines

it is caused by a portion of the screen becoming blocked

if it occurs when the machine is relatively new it is due to excess silicone grease travelling down and fouling in the screen, which in turn elevates the pressure above the screen and if sufficiently it will blow the screen completely off

to remedy remove the screen and place it in a small bowl/similar and add a citrus solvent and allow it to soak for a while, agitating the screen in the solvent every few minutes and perhaps using an old disused toothbrush or similar to work the solvent gently into the screen

if you want to take the old school approach use Acetone

i dont know of any other products that dissolved silicone grease - it is really difficult to fully remove

then rinse thoroughly under a fast running cold tap with copious amounts of water

if the screen is older and you are time poor just replace it - if you are replacing the screen it is common practice to replace the gasket at the same time as these harden with the heat they are exposed to

the screen will eventually become clogged with coffee tars, but unless you are putting more coffee in the basket than it was designed to carry, such that you end up with coffee pushed up against the shower screen it should take many months, so i dont see it as a particular chore

the reduction in the water surge into the brew chamber with the 35 micron screen is more than worth the inconvenience of having to clean the screen a couple of times a year

kind regards

reiss.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Reiss Gunson.

More
1 year 9 months ago #14997 by Igor Lontos
Replied by Igor Lontos on topic IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure
That makes sense, it's probably the silicone grease. I soaked it in citric acid for 20-30 min and there was still some left. I'll try leaving it for longer and try acetone if that doesn't work. Now when I hold the basket in my hand and fill it up with water, it barely drops through... but that might be by design.

I like the IMS screen, it mostly stays clean with 18g of coffee.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #14999 by Igor Lontos
Replied by Igor Lontos on topic IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure

Screen pop off in action. This is after 1h in acetone.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Igor Lontos.

More
1 year 9 months ago #15000 by Frans Goddijn
Replied by Frans Goddijn on topic IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure
What happens when you use another screen? And another ring around it?

L1-P, L-R, Compak R120 & E8, Pavonis, Rocket, Mazzer, Fracino Roastilino & PXG4, Coffee-Tech FZ-94, Tonino, VSTlab IV, Acaia scales, Pencil tampers

More
1 year 9 months ago #15001 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic IMS Shower Screen - detaches under water pressure
hi igor

watching your video i suspect you have not driven the screen on firmly enough

in the first step where you use the portafilter with basket removed to drive the screen into place you push the handle around to the necessary angle

but in the second step where you add the basket back into the portafilter to effectively increase the extent to which you can drive the screen up into the seal groove you only push the portafilter handle slightly to the right of 6 o'clock

you need to drive the portafilter handle with the basket in as far to the right as you drove it in step one when the basket was not present

hold the right hand side of the group with your right hand and drive the portafilter handle to the right with your left hand if this helps you to get more purchase

let me know

when you finish the bottom of the portafilter seal should be as close to flush with the bottom of the groove of the seal groove that it lies in as possible - perhaps 1mm still hanging down

if you achieve this and you have cleaned and rinsed the shower screen it should stay in place, unless the seal has become hard and rigid with heat, as frans mentions

best

reiss.

More
1 year 9 months ago #15002 by Reiss Gunson
ps - hold the screen up to a strong light source to check that the holes in the screen are no longer obstructed - if they are there is more gentle work with the toothbrush and acetone to be performed.

More
1 year 9 months ago #15003 by Igor Lontos
Frans - I never tried another screen or ring, but will try if I can’t make this screen to stay on. The ring shybe fine though, only couple of months old.

Reiss- I’ll try your suggestions when I get home. Since it’s brass I didn’t want to push it too hard.

More
1 year 9 months ago #15005 by Igor Lontos
Reiss - IMS screen appears clean, light shines through, I left the screen in Acetone for an hour, boiled it in water and citric acid. Thing is, even with all this force wnen putting it on I can take it off with my bare hands using little effort. So, I did what you suggested, I used more force in both steps to the point I was moving the machine, ring almost flush with the piston, perhaps 0.5mm sticking out. I pull the lever but the screen pops off again. Here is the video

Frans - I tested the stock Londinium screen and it stayed on after 2-3 flushes. I’ll report back if itstarts slipping too. Here’s the vid

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds