SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT



We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)

  • Geoff Roberts
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 year 5 months ago #15439 by Geoff Roberts
Replied by Geoff Roberts on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)

Jonathan Lambin wrote: For the lighter roasts I have pulled so far with my L1, I aim for no coffee beads visible at the bottom of the basket for 7-10ish sec pre-infusion at boiler pressure, then active pre-infusion until the bottom is filled with coffee beads and I have a few inconsistent streams towards the middle. That's when I let go of the lever. I use the same technique with medium roasts but aim for shorter PI time in both phases.

If I get drops during passive PI when pulling light roasts, it usually results in a fast pour and underextracted shot.

It's actually a very good subject since the ability to pull lighter roasts and higher yield is a key in the philosophy that drove the design changes in the LR.
But, the L1 is very capable of pulling good shots with all sorts of roasts albeit in different fashion and results. I'd be interested to hear about other L1 owner's experience on this matter.


Many thanks for the detail, I’m looking forward to trying this in the morning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #15441 by Jonathan Lambin
Replied by Jonathan Lambin on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)

Matthew Hoffman wrote: My methods with light roasts on my L1 are similar to those above. Yesterday, I pulled 30g from 15g of a Tim Wendelboe espresso (which is as light as most other roasters' filter roasts). I gave it 3-4 seconds pre-infusion at boiler pressure (1.2 bar), then a few more seconds at the lever catch point (until the bottom was fully beaded and began to drip). The result tasted fine and the measured EY was 22.4%.

Matt


Those are very fine numbers! And the espresso was just "fine??
I wonder if a longer PI would get similar TDS but variations in flavors...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #15442 by Matthew Hoffman
Replied by Matthew Hoffman on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)

Jonathan Lambin wrote:

Matthew Hoffman wrote: My methods with light roasts on my L1 are similar to those above. Yesterday, I pulled 30g from 15g of a Tim Wendelboe espresso (which is as light as most other roasters' filter roasts). I gave it 3-4 seconds pre-infusion at boiler pressure (1.2 bar), then a few more seconds at the lever catch point (until the bottom was fully beaded and began to drip). The result tasted fine and the measured EY was 22.4%.

Matt


Those are very fine numbers! And the espresso was just "fine??
I wonder if a longer PI would get similar TDS but variations in flavors...?


British understatement. Actually, the 6oz flat whites I made for me and a friend were among the best either of us have ever had. Full of flavour, but with no roasty or other distracting imperfections. I haven't had a chance to try it as straight espresso yet, but I was planning to grind a little finer to slow down the extraction a tad. I have some pleasurable experimentation ahead of me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #15444 by Jonathan Lambin
Replied by Jonathan Lambin on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)
British understatement or French Canadian one-dimensional interpretation? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Geoff Roberts
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 year 5 months ago #15445 by Geoff Roberts
Replied by Geoff Roberts on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)
I experimented with active PI this morning, and had a great result. My coffee was delicious, lots of character which had been missing, and a very rich Flavour.

From my first attempt with more to learn, I’m very happy with the result.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #15446 by Jonathan Lambin
Replied by Jonathan Lambin on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)

Geoff Roberts wrote: I experimented with active PI this morning, and had a great result. My coffee was delicious, lots of character which had been missing, and a very rich Flavour.

From my first attempt with more to learn, I’m very happy with the result.


That's great!
Now imagine all the new possibilities!
*Says the guy who's owned his L1 for just about 3 months... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Geoff Roberts
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 year 5 months ago #15447 by Geoff Roberts
Replied by Geoff Roberts on topic Light Roasts with a Londinium 1(2012-16)

Jonathan Lambin wrote:

Geoff Roberts wrote: I experimented with active PI this morning, and had a great result. My coffee was delicious, lots of character which had been missing, and a very rich Flavour.

From my first attempt with more to learn, I’m very happy with the result.


That's great!
Now imagine all the new possibilities!
*Says the guy who's owned his L1 for just about 3 months... ;)


I’ve had mine about 6 weeks, so I guess your experience brings wisdom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Powered by Support forum