SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Grinders

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #15561 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic Grinders
hi geoff

the fact of physics that all of us are fighting when we embark on single dosing is that the beans are no longer held against the cutting face by the weight of the beans above them

if you have even run a light piece of wood through a circular bench saw without having the wood securely held down this is exactly the same thing that occurs with single dosing

grinders like the ek43 have an auger that carries and holds the beans against the cutting face

you can demonstrate to yourself that all grinders product a noticeably better grind if you load a weight of beans into them, including those considered suitable for single dosing

so as is a bit of an unsolved issue in my view; stack the beans up in the hopper and accept a slight loss in freshness and the need to throw some stale coffee retained in the grinder away, or single dose and accept an inferior grind

if you dont disclose what the 'high quality conical' is it is difficult to provide useful comment

kind regards

reiss.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Reiss Gunson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #15562 by Geoff Roberts
Replied by Geoff Roberts on topic Grinders
Thanks, the analogy makes sense.

It’s an older model Monolith Conical I’m looking at. A new Monolith flat is outside the budget at the moment.

More
1 year 3 months ago #15563 by Reiss Gunson
sure, grab it with both hands.

More
11 months 1 day ago #16028 by Geoff Roberts
It’s some months later, I have put in a pre order for of these. I think this will be a great grinder, perhaps if interest to otters here. It appears to be a good alternative to the monolith, it’s available to buy, and at a significantly lower price.

www.option-o.com/lagom-p64

More
11 months 13 hours ago #16031 by Reiss Gunson
thanks for posting geoff

its always interesting to see what is new to market

i would suggest you opt for the red speed coated burrs as stainless is a relatively soft metal for use as a burr, unless you are able to obtain assurances that it has been specifically hardened for the job, which i understand is called martensitic stainless which is then heat treated to improve its hardness

to be fair this is conveyed in the link you provide when you compare the stated burr life of the stainless burr and the red speed burr, and which one is stated as suitable for light roasts

kind regards

reiss.

More
11 months 11 hours ago #16032 by Geoff Roberts
I ordered the Red Speed burrs, I actually wondered to myself whether many people would get the standard burrs.

It looks like a very different geometry in the pictures, perhaps standard would suit some people better, but there is a big difference in projected longevity which would render the $100 difference null.

I’m drinking lightly roasted Coffee, and will also use it for filter coffee, SSP seems better suited.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #16075 by bill castellano
Replied by bill castellano on topic Grinders
Please do share the results when it arrives! Website now says pre orders for 2020.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #16076 by Geoff Roberts
Will do, mine will be delivered in January, a few months to wait yet.

They seem to be selling them in batches.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #16110 by Terra Banes
Replied by Terra Banes on topic Grinders
Would you say there is any benefit to replacing a Niche Zero grinder with a Compak E5 grinder (when using the Londinium with medium roast levels)?

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #16111 by Reiss Gunson
hi there

i haven't used the Niche, but i expect there are plenty of people on here who have and can provide you with far better information

i dont doubt that the E5 will last a lot longer than the Niche as i have seen the Niche fully stripped down and it is very much a consumer grade (Kenwood) parts bin special inside

having said that the Niche is a far quieter grinder than the E5

the grind quality out of the Niche could well be better than the E5, but im not in a position to verify this as i haven't used the Niche

if you already have the Niche i personally wouldn't bother shifting to an E5 - id be looking to go higher

kind regards

reiss.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds