SUPPORT LOGIN

(Login and registration now occur through the store.)

LOGIN OR CREATE ACCOUNT

We're still experiencing some difficulties with our new unified login - sorry for the inconvenience!.

Grinders

More
1 year 6 months ago #15342 by Geoff Roberts
Replied by Geoff Roberts on topic Grinders

Abdulrahman Alzhrani wrote: I forgot to mention that Eureka E75 has the exact burrs as Mythos One! You can buy it online for $1150.

Best regards,
Abdul

That’s good to know Abdul. I was just thinking to myself yesterday that the Mythos One temperature control system would not be any use at home, but adds to the cost and complication of the machine. The Eureka seems to answer this - the big burrs but without the features I don’t need.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15343 by Reiss Gunson
Replied by Reiss Gunson on topic Grinders
Note that the original mythos doesn’t have any of that temperature control gimmickry on it and is the one to get in my view.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15344 by Geoff Roberts

Richard Gregory wrote: Geoff-

Anfim grinders seem to give good bang for the buck, and are a narrow footprint.

I'm a Compak, Anfim and Mahlkonig reseller in AZ and have sold a few grinders to forum users (on HB). There is a local climbing gym here that bought the two Anfim models and I was impressed with them. I really like the guitar tuner style adjustment for grind size. Whichever you buy, if it's got a hopper full of beans make sure you run the grinder while adjusting the grind.

Compak grinders tend to be a bit larger for similar burr size.

The only Mahlkoenig grinders I've sold are an EK-43s and the Guatemala, prolly a little much for a home user unless you are Frans :)

Currently I'm using a Niche Zero, the last bean can and will pop-corn on occasion but it is a big conical at a price that isn't matched. It, like the HSM is a large conical. I use it for all my roasts and enjoy it but it is certainly not a big flat. Although I haven't TRIED them, the 64mm SSP burrs are supposed to take a good 64mm flat and elevate it to the quality of the big flats, another option to consider.

I'd stay away from anything plastic :) This is a good time to be buying equipment.

The Anfims do look good, I’ve been trying to find info on the Pratica, but there doesn’t appear to be many out there yet.

The Niche is an interesting grinder. It would be very good from a practical sense and it’s not too expensive.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15345 by Geoff Roberts

Reiss Gunson wrote: Note that the original mythos doesn’t have any of that temperature control gimmickry on it and is the one to get in my view.

Thanks. There so much hype around the One, I don’t think I’ve even looked at the original.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15356 by Paulius Peciura
Replied by Paulius Peciura on topic Grinders
Welcome to the forum, Geoff.

You really need to answer to yourself whether you want a single doser (by design) or an on demand grinder! Also, do you drink brewed coffee at all? Eureka and Ceado grinders are quite popular in UK by home users, but there's a ton to choose from.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15357 by Geoff Roberts

PPapa wrote: Welcome to the forum, Geoff.

You really need to answer to yourself whether you want a single doser (by design) or an on demand grinder! Also, do you drink brewed coffee at all? Eureka and Ceado grinders are quite popular in UK by home users, but there's a ton to choose from.

Many thanks, I just drink espresso so I’ll only need to do fine grind.

After thinking more over the last few weeks, I think a single dosing grinder is the way to go, to save on size and retention. I may even wait until I can buy a Monolith or something similar, they seem to be ideal for my use. Perhaps an e5 while I wait.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15358 by Trevor Watters
Replied by Trevor Watters on topic Grinders
Hi Geoff,

Glad you are enjoying the machine. You have already tried the E5 with the shot I gave during the pickup. Yes, Monolith grinders are very good but at twice the price, it is a high price to pay for the gain, notwithstanding the consideration of bench space.
Cheers
Trevor

LWDP #20, Londinium L1 Series 2, Compak E10 Conic OD, Londinium Tamper, Espro Toroid Stainless Steel Milk Jug 355ml, Acaia Coffee Scales, roasted coffee beans. All this for some happy times each day!

More
1 year 6 months ago #15374 by Geoff Roberts

Trevor Watters wrote: Hi Geoff,

Glad you are enjoying the machine. You have already tried the E5 with the shot I gave during the pickup. Yes, Monolith grinders are very good but at twice the price, it is a high price to pay for the gain, notwithstanding the consideration of bench space.
Cheers
Trevor

Loving the machine, drinking great coffee every day.

I think the e5 is a great little grinder, and is far more affordable than the monoliths. If I were to but a monolith, this would be some time away, the e5 is a far more accessible upgrade.

More
1 year 6 months ago #15376 by Trevor Watters
Replied by Trevor Watters on topic Grinders
Great to hear about the machine
Trevor

LWDP #20, Londinium L1 Series 2, Compak E10 Conic OD, Londinium Tamper, Espro Toroid Stainless Steel Milk Jug 355ml, Acaia Coffee Scales, roasted coffee beans. All this for some happy times each day!

More
1 year 3 months ago #15560 by Geoff Roberts

Reiss Gunson wrote: hi geoff (surely not three f's?)

i think it would help if you said you are not prepared to spend more than AUD X as the world of grinders is a wide one with many ways to slice it, depending on your personal needs

for example, some owners are happy with manual grinders, others like me have owned them in the past and would not consider another one. if a manual grinder was acceptable you could do a lot worse than the Pharos from Orphan Espresso. it isnt the last word in ergonomics, but it does produce a good grind quality. helpfully you have stated that you are not interested in a dosered grinder as this helps to narrow down the suggestions.

not all will agree, but for my money conical burrs are dead now that we have a lot of investment being put into highly aligned flat burrs; the world is moving toward lighter roasts, even in italy. if your budget allows a massive flat burr is the gold standard. why? because the volume between the top and bottom burr is such that it can contain the whole dose from the moment the beans are poured in; when the grinder is turned on the centrifugal forces throw the beans outwards and they are trapped between the burrs; no pop corning

conical burrs are always going to pop corn as soon as a weight of beans is not sitting above the burrs to hold the beans against the cutting face; i am not aware of any conical burr design that has solved this issue.

if you want to single dose there is a very short list of grinders that achieve this, so it comes at a high price

mahlkonig do make good grinders, no question

that said i have been using a Compak E5 since i sold my Compak R120 while i wait for another grinder (a Kafatek), and while the E5 does not provide the flavour magic that the top end grinders do, i am happy to say the grind quality is as good as a Compak E8

The Compak E5 is also really pushed to its limits to grind super light nordic style roasts fine enough, but given the price point that it sits at i think it is worthy of consideration if that is the price range you are considering

kind regards

reiss.

Hi Reiss,

Would pop Corning diminish the quality of the grind, or is it more of an annoyance?

I am currently looking at a high quality conical which is available second hand. I am primarily drinking light roasts. A flat may be better suited, but this conical would be a significant upgrade on my current grinder.

Geoff

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds