Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons marsala (see note)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 cup strong espresso coffee, cooled slightly
- 4 mini jam sponge rolls, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 50g good-quality dark chocolate, grated
- 1/2 cup thick vanilla custard
- 425g can black pitted
- cherries, drained
1. Combine marsala, sugar and coffee in a jug. Stir until sugar dissolves.2. Divide the sponge slices between four 400ml-capacity whisky glasses. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the coffee mixture. Drizzle remaining coffee mixture over the sponge slices.3. Top with half the chocolate, and all the custard and cherries. Drizzle with the reserved coffee mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate and serve.
Notes & tips
- Marsala is a fortified Italian wine available from liquor stores. You could use dry sherry, Tia Maria liqueur, Kahlua liqueur or brandy instead.
Super Food Ideas – September 2007 , Page 79
Recipe by Annette Forrest